[ale] VNC how to punch thru DSL modem

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 22:40:34 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 20:55 -0500, James P. Kinney III wrote:

> Which leads to the other issue: static IP address? Without it you will
> need to have Mom on a dynamic DNS service so you can access by name.

Another idea (this is what I do with my parents' computer/network):  Use
SSH to create a secure tunnel, and then either run VNC over that with
port forwarding, or, if all that needs to be done is some configuration,
use the shell+X11 forwarding to make things happen.  I prefer doing
that, because then the only port open is 22 and I require a key to get
into the computer.  That reduces the probability that anyone else is
actually going to get into the machine.  I can then also work on
anything on their network from that point.  It makes for a really decent
setup.

On my parent's computer, I have an account for me, and a generic account
('tsupp') that they can give to people whom they trust (a friend of
theirs is a knowledgeable Linux user), and both require keys to get on
from outside the network:  SSH refuses any password attempts.

    ? Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!