[ale] Job opportunity

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Tue Feb 20 17:08:26 EST 2007

Funny - Back in 2001 some contracting company for HP offered me $12-$15
hour for a front line tech support job for HP-UX.   Usually I politely
say "not interested" but this pay ray so incensed me that I actually
wrote the guy talking about how low it was.   He wrote back saying
something like "I agree it is low but we do get people at this rate".
I immediately sent that to my ex-coworkers at a location where we did
HP-UX with a note saying that we now knew why front line support for
HP-UX was so bad.

One of the down sides I see to Linux commercial acceptance is that some
people are converting their old MS admins to do the Linux and eventually
Linux admins will be a dime a dozen (with certifications) like MS admins
are so you'll see a slide in the rate for professionals that came from
the UNIX side.   Worse yet you'll probably see companies picking
"certified" Linux admins over experienced UNIX admins.   Not to say
there aren't some really good MS Admins out there (discounting the OS
they choose to work on of course) but there are also some pretty lousy
ones.