[ale] Bellsouth and SMTP

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net
Mon Feb 19 11:34:37 EST 2007

David Corbin wrote:
> On Monday 19 February 2007 20:14, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
>> server but theirs. What I did was get a Xen VPS account from
>> GrokThis.net and hosted my own MTA on alternative ports and now I have
>> no problems.
>>

> What I've done so far, is use no-ip.com's "mail forwarding" service, which
> works great and at $40 a year, is cheaper than a VPS.  But it's
> $40/domain/year, and I may have two or three domains shortly, and I'm looking
> for some solution here that won't strain the wallet.

	My GrokThis Xen VPS is $20/month but I have complete access of the
virtual machine (read: root access) so I can pretty much run what I
want. I run the MTA of my choice on the ports of my choice and with the
anti-spam setup of my choice. Something I found lacking with just about
every other option out there. I get almost no spam as a result.

	Now GrokThis does have a smaller division called VPS Village that is
currently not taking orders as they get more hardware and IP space but
their lowest Xen VPS package is only $5/month.

	I guess for me the cost isn't so much an issue as I write if off as
business expense of doing consulting at the end of the year anyway.

	Regards,
	Jeremy