[ale] Kmail and pgp ATTN: ROBERT REESE

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Wed Feb 14 12:20:52 EST 2007

Hi Sean and Jeremy,

On 2/14/2007 at 11:36 AM Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:

>SPF (Sender Policy Framework) is a way for domain holders to stop people
>from using their domain names for sending email. Of course it only works
>if the receiving MTA checks for it. You can find more about it at
>http://www.openspf.org. After looking at the SPF record in DNS for
>oppositelock.org (v=spf1 a mx -all) it doesn't surprise me you got the
>error you mentioned before unless you have either an A or MX record
>under oppositelock.org as the "-all" tells the receiver to reject if it
>doesn't match.
>
>	Regards,
>	Jeremy
>
>Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
>> Robert:
>>   I tried to respond directly to you at <aleAT sixit.com> and my
>> email bounced with this message:
>>
>> "Connected to 64.202.166.12 but sender was rejected.
>> Remote host said: 554 refused mailfrom because of SPF policy"
>>
>> So now I have a new question:  What is an "SPF policy"?

The ironies never cease.  I just found out about SPF over the weekend when I set up my dad's website up on nearlyfreespeech.net.  One of the options in there was to enable SPF.  Out of curiosity, I looked at the meek definition NFSN had.  While it kinda gave me an idea as to what it is, Jeremy's link gives *tons* more info.  Thanks for the link Jeremy!

That said, I've had a few people tell me they couldn't send me an email for one reason or other; this may be one of those reasons.  I always thought it was Godaddy's fault (my host), and maybe it is.  I'll look into it and see what I can uncover on my end.

Meanwhile, since Google changed their privacy policy to address the third-party issue I've reluctantly gotten a GMail account (okay, two accounts, but who's counting); it works better and I like it better than Yahoo's email.  If you want, email me at garealtours or at sixits at gmail.

Cheers,
Robert~