[ale] CF card as disk drive

Dan Lambert danlambert at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 31 17:06:14 EST 2007

The write cycle issue reduces the life of solid state drives
significantly. I've had SS drives die after as few as 10K writes
(sometimes much fewer). Some of the newer technology uses random write
techniques to vastly improve the life of the chip, but overall, I think
a rotary disk is still more reliable.

Solid state can provide much faster access to the data due to having
virtually no seek time.

It's really a matter of trade-offs. We are still at a point where you
have to make compromises in data storage. That is realistically the only
issue I see with the ultraportable computers like the Asus EeePC.

Dan