[ale] CF card as disk drive

Chris Woodfield rekoil at semihuman.com
Mon Dec 31 15:44:21 EST 2007

I'm rebuilding ye olde firewall server, and I'd like to go with a CF-
based disk this time. I have a working CF-to-IDE adapter already, but
I'd like to know if there's any info out there as to which brands/
models of CF cards have the longest write cycle ratings. I'll be using
the CF card as a normal drive, but I plan on the following system
adjustments to limit disk writes:

- No swapfile
- syslogd/klogd configured to log to remote server
- ramdisk for other often-updated files (dhcp.leases, /var/lock/, any
others to suggest?)

What brand/model flash would one suggest if the goal is to have the
highest write cycle capacity?

-C