[ale] getting a Mac onto wireless network

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Thu Dec 27 20:46:47 EST 2007

I had this working at one time.  AFter the move to a new house
I am having . . . ah . . . difficulties.

Have a linksys wireless router: AirPlusXtremeG

security is via WEP key (128bit) and allowing only specified
MAC addresses.

My wife's Mac laptop can see the wireless network, but can't
link to it. The router has her two Mac addresses entered in the
proper tables.

It would help if I could get the damn thing to cough up a useful
error message. I have looked around in /var/log but can't find
anything that seems to illuminate the problem.

At one point the laptop provided a window for entering the WEP key.
Did that.  Didn't help.

Clues would be appreciated.

Sean