[ale] Can no longer boot one of my drives - SOLVED

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Dec 20 20:59:47 EST 2007

On Thu 2007-12-20 18:02:22 -0500, James P. Kinney III wrote:

> The USB device will be seen by the bios as a SCSI drive. The new
> kernels treat ALL drives as scsi devices. So now the scsi chain is
> renumbered and the grub device numbering doesn't work since what was
> drive 0 is now drive 1 'cause the USB drive is now drive 0.

This doesn't quite make sense to me.  If it's a bootloader problem,
the kernel isn't even loaded at this stage: It might be loading kernel
2.2 for all it knows, right?  So how would the kernel's interpretation
of the disk ordering affect grub?

It seems more likely that the BIOS was presenting the USB block device
as "disk 0" instead of the builtin disk, and grub was just choking on
that, expecting disk 0 to point to the other device.

Regards,

      --dkg