[ale] Re: WWVB to computer

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Dec 19 01:16:07 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 21:07 -0500, Devnull wrote:
> I really can't help you I do not know much about electronics :), but
> that
> sounds really cool, if you get it working, can you post some
> schematics/howtos on how you got it done, please?

I would love to.

As I had mentioned in my original post, I just want to do this as a side
project.  I certainly do not need to have the type of accuracy that it
offers, and I don't need to have any more accuracy, certainly.  NTP is
something that I have used before, though I think the idea of using a
radio signal is absolutely fascinating, and from what I hear, it is
possible to build a receiver+computer interface for the thing relatively
inexpensively (e.g., on a massively tight budget).

One of the major reasons that I would like to build the unit is to that
I can learn about electronics, obviously.  Another reason that I would
like to build it is because I would specifically like to learn more
about the serial and USB interfaces to the system.  Preferably, I would
like to build a device that takes the radio signal, demodulates it
(correct terminology?) and sends the demodulated raw data to the USB
port; there is a piece of software already in Ubuntu and Debian that
will take the data signal and get the time from it, supplying NTP with
the time using a "shared memory" driver.  I am sure that there are
probably even more direct and less time-consuming ways to get the signal
and decode it in hardware, making a device that will always return the
correct time on a read, but I don't want something all that complex.  I
just want to build it---effectively from scratch---so that I can say
that I did.  :)

	--- Mike

Michael B. Trausch                                   mike at trausch.us
home: 404-592-5746, 1                                 www.trausch.us