[ale] Sr. Systems Engineer @ Speakeasy in downtown Seattle

Garrett Honeycutt ghoneycutt at hq.speakeasy.net
Tue Dec 18 02:20:52 EST 2007

Please send any questions and resumes to me off list.

Thanks,
-g

Position summary:
You will be responsible for configuring, monitoring, installing, and
maintaining UNIX-based servers in our production and corporate
environments consisting of 250+ servers. You must have the ability to
work independently as well as part of a team. You will be required to
work with other departments at Speakeasy to ensure our servers and
services meet the needs of customers and the company.

Responsibilities:
?Designing, securing, installing, monitoring, maintaining, and
documenting systems and software.
?Working with the engineering team to be proactive in improving our network
?Writing scripts automate daily processes.
?Scheduling and reporting on your activities.
?Actively analyzing security and making suggestions for improvements.
?Assisting with the development of new products.
?Collecting statistics for domain websites and other systems, both NT-
and Linux-hosted sites; collecting and reporting data related to
maintenance tasks.
?Assisting with code releases; troubleshooting issues that do or do not
relate to code releases; testing and accepting code changes.
?Maintaining and setting up MySQL, Oracle, and Postgres Databases.
?Maintaining a large qmail cluster.
?Documenting architecture, design, procedures, checklists, and other
system related information.
?Monitoring traffic usage for customers (web and shell servers) and
identifying potential problems.
?Working on trouble tickets escalated from network operations.
?Working with vendors in relation to services they provide us. Examples:
Giganews, Akamai, Network Solutions/Verisign, Geotrust.
?Building and testing large-scale, high availability, high transaction
volume Linux-based systems.
?Maintaining web servers for Speakeasy and customer web sites.
?Participating in on-call shift and emergency maintenance coverage.

Skills and experience required:
?Excellent communication skills
?Security focused mindset
?Ability to take ownership of complicated issues
?Ability to prioritize based on immediate needs
?Detailed Linux, BSD, and Solaris knowledge
?Advanced Bash and Perl scripting knowledge
?Understanding of industry standard server maintenance processes
?Willingness to work in a team environment to solve and complete tasks
?Should be adept at working with UNIX servers operation and be familiar
with the interaction between servers and services in the present network
?A strong ability to troubleshoot problems
?Good organizational skills
?Knowledge of Foundry, Network Appliance, and other similar hardware
?Advanced database knowledge
?Solid documentation skills
?Some travel may be required

Additional Information:
Speakeasy offers a full suite of benefits, including full medical,
dental, and vision coverage (100% paid for employees); a 401(K) plan
with a company matching contribution; a transportation benefit; and many
other excellent perks. We're looking for talented and highly skilled
individuals to join our dynamic and fast-paced culture and contribute to
Speakeasy?s continued success.

--
Garrett Honeycutt
Sr. Systems Engineer

Direct > 800.556.5829x2555 Fax > 206.728.1500
www.speakeasy.net
Voice * Data * Managed Services