[ale] OT - Portable Drive

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Wed Dec 12 06:03:12 EST 2007

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 16:47 -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>> Here's the first computer I worked with:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/2k7lde
>>

> :-)
>

>> Later one of these:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/32sob9
>>

> I recall reading something a few years back that blamed the poor quality
> of EE students coming out of schools on the lack of teaching
> sliderulers.   I never studied sliderulers in school, but I do recall my
> father (now a retired mechanical engineer) teaching me how to use one
> when I was a kid.  I can't say that I ever have used that skill, but it
> hasn't hurt knowing it. ;-)
>
> -Jim P.

When I entered the EE program, we were required to take a one hour per
week sliderule course to teach us to use a sliderule.  I had been using
one for 3 years already and found the course very boring.  I dropped
it.  When I went to graduate, they found I hadn't completed my required
sliderule class and said I couldn't graduate without taking it.  I did
the same thing for library science, to teach us to use a library,
dropped it and had to take it as a 3rd quarter senior.  The government
isn't the only organization that has it's head where the sun doesn't shine.

Jim.