[ale] OT - Portable Drive

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Mon Dec 10 11:18:44 EST 2007

I remember the first IBM PC XTs I worked on.  One had dual 5 ?" full height floppies (720k) and the "upgraded" one had one of those and the 10 MB hard drive.  We'd back up the hard drive every week to around 26 floppies (manually having to swap them out of course).

At a prior job I worked on the old Data point hardware that had the removable disk packs - they were 5 MB each.

The first "portable" disks I saw were the old Bernoulli disks that were 10 MB each and were about the length of a legal pad and a couple of inches thick.

It was amazing to me that years after the original IBM PC XT experience I worked for a company that had one chain of customers running Xenix on 286 PCs and backing up the hard drives to floppy.   When I later asked the guy who'd been involved with setting up that particular cluster flock he said the Queen of Mean (who thought only little people pay taxes) had forced them to do it to meet original pricing after AT&T dumped the original line they'd based the bid on.   Some people think they save money by cheeping out on equipment and never seem to realize how much it costs them to have someone sit there and do a manual task every night to overcome the hardware limitations.