[ale] Squid for Kids

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 10:24:35 EST 2007

On Dec 10, 2007 10:54 AM, Mike Harrison <meuon at geeklabs.com> wrote:
> And my socio-political unpopular stance: If you are going to filter
> things, think about what you are filtering and why. Is sex taboo,
> but it's OK to see guns blazing violence and scary haunting crapola?
> In the real world, we all (hopefully) have a chance for some incredible
> sex, at least sex good enough for procreation. It's natural, everyone does
> it (hopefully) and it's responsible for the continuation of our species.
> While -porn- is bad for the casual and odd values about it, it's at least
> something close to reality for most of us.

As a parent facing this very issue, I can tell you what I want - I
want to not worry about
my children seeing all the really fringe adult stuff - I have no fear
of them being harmed by surfing www.playboy.com,
but goatse.cx is another matter.  And lets not even get into the
attitude towards women exhibited by many of
the adult sites.  In addition, I *am* concerned if my children surf to
sites promoting anti-science views, or
violent hate.  And like it or not, they sometimes can find enough time
to surf for thiings I don't want them
seeing, so a filter is good.

And by the time they get savvy enough to dodge the filter without me
knowing, they are likely smart enough to
not be as affected.

--
Pete Hardie
--------