[ale] ssh thru BS modem thru Linksys wont work

jtholmes linux at jtholmes.com
Sat Dec 8 17:21:40 EST 2007

The long and short of this request is
ssh thru bell south modem then thru
a linksys router then to a linux machine.

I can connect a linux machine directly to the
  ethernet port (yellow) on a
  Bell South Modem (4x4 black) with port 22 open
  and connect to the linux machine from a friends
  dsl connection just fine.

However, if I connect a linksys router to the ethernet
  port  (yellow) on the modem, open port 22 on the
  Linksys and connect a linux machine (with a static)
  address to the router I cannot get thru the router
  to the linux machine with ssh.

The ssh on  the remote machine just sits there and
does nothing.
Wireshark on the remote machine shows the syn
but never a response from the remote machine.

any ideas would be appreciated.
jt