[ale] ALE CENTRAL MTG for this Thursday, DEC. 6TH

aaron aaron at pd.org
Mon Dec 3 21:58:41 EST 2007

To accommodate Emory Law School's room scheduling at
our donated venue we have moved our December 2007
Central meeting date up by 1 week.

Instead of the second Thursday, this month's ALE Central
meeting will be held THURSDAY, DECEMBER 6 at 7:30 pm.,

Our feature presentation for the evening will be
" Using Snort To Sniff Out Content-Based Network Attacks "
presented by Bob Toxen

Synopsis:
-- Snort is the free Open Source tool of choice for spotting and blocking
attacks hiding in normal network traffic (IDS and Intrusion Prevention).
It is good at recognizing content-based attacks aimed at allowed services
and hiding in browser and mail traffic to your client systems as well
as simpler port-based attacks.  This presentation will cover basic
installation and use so that you can take advantage of this excellent
tool.

Bio:
-- Mr. Bob Toxen, one ALE's founding members, is the author of Real World
Linux Security [Second Edition, 848pp published by Prentice Hall PTR].
He is a world-class expert on Linux and UNIX security and mixed-OS network
security using Linux.  His 30+years of UNIX/Linux experience includes being
one of the 162 developers of Berkeley UNIX and being one of the four creators
of Silicon Graphics' UNIX.
-- Mr. Toxen's consulting focuses on network and computer security using
low cost Linux solutions for virus and spam filters, hardening Linux servers,
firewalls, VPNs, and more.