[ale] linus doesn't like Debian?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Aug 23 10:58:17 EDT 2007

Jeremy T. Bouse, on 08/23/2007 08:09 AM said:
> So you mean RPMs are no longer version dependent on the libgdbm ?
> And that they're intelligent enough to ask appropriate questions
> necessary to get a sane default configuration on install rather than
> just dump some standard default configuration. Yes they've add'd the
> feature to yum to be able to get dependency packages as well on install
> but the format itself has not changed to the point I'd claim 'rpm hell'
> is a thing of the past.

'yum', as best as I understand it, is a horrid hack on top of a
collection of hacks that is RPM.  I could be wrong, and if so, please
correct me---but a new utility in the toolbox won't fix the
architectural problems that have plagued RPM since at least 1996/1997
when I first had my hands on a Red Hat system.

I stuck with Slackware, and was turned off to the concept of package
managers for a long time until I picked up Ubuntu.  It makes me wish
that I'd tried Debian earlier.

	-- Mike

Michael B. Trausch              Internet Mail & Jabber: mike at trausch.us
Phone:  (404) 592-5746 x1                        http://www.trausch.us/