[ale] Evolution and BellSouth storage question

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Aug 23 08:29:30 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 09:51 -0400, tom wrote:
> I got my girlfriend setup on Ubuntu some time ago. She recently decided to
> go with the AT&T $10/mo internet plan, which is largely working correctly.
> The known remaining challenge is using Evolution for email, as I haven't
> figured out/read how to get the email retained locally, on her hard disk.
> Somehow, Evolution has a number of folders setup which appear to relate to
> the pop server at Bell South, where she has reached her storage limit.
>
> I have looked at the Evolution documentation, and fiddled with the
> software, but my befuddled mind is missing the clue which almost _must_ be
> there - so I ask here
>
> How do I convince Evolution to create and use mail folders on the local
> hard drive?

Somewhere in the settings you are looking for a blurb of "keep on
server" and that needs to be off. If you are using pop as opposed to
imap (most likely) it _should_ be the default.

On my version the route to this is edit->preferences->select the
account->edit->Receiving Options->uncheck "leave messages on server"

If that doesn't work BellSouth has problems or something else is weird.