[ale] [OT] Need an 802.11G *bridge*

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Sat Aug 18 22:53:53 EDT 2007

David Tomaschik wrote:
> I would seriously suggest any of the many routers supported by the
> Linux-based OpenWRT firmware.  I use a WRT54GL as an access point, but
> I've also been able to do some far more interesting things... mini
> web-server, etc.  I'm looking forward to the new version of OpenWRT so I
> can run two SSIDs on the same router... one WPA going to the LAN and one
> WEP (for friends/guests) that can be segmented off in its own VLAN.
> OpenWRT is like having a commercial-grade Cisco AP, IMO.

In general, I recommend this; OpenWRT is powerful and flexible. I'm
using it on two routers (Asus WL-500G and Linksys WRT54Gv2.2) for WDS.
Unfortunately it hasn't been ported to the Atheros SoC that powers your
router, JK (see http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware).

However, I think you can do what you want with your WGT624 and stock
firmware; see http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101496.asp .
Also, if you ever feel the need to really hack the configuration here's
a guide on how to get a console http://www.beatjunkie.de/Router_eng.htm

-Brian