[ale] [OT] Need an 802.11G *bridge*

David Tomaschik ozone at webgroup.org
Sat Aug 18 21:46:32 EDT 2007

JK wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I used to use a Linksys WAP-11 802.11b wireless AP
> for my wifi net.  It was just an access-point; that is, it
> was a bridge, not a router.  So my Linux firewall could see
> the wifi clients directly, assign them IP addresses, do
> throttling based on MAC addresses, and (very important to
> me) selectively forward traffic and do SNAT/DNAT between
> the wifi clients and my wired LAN.
>
> I recently bought a Netgear WGT624 802.11g router, mainly to
> get WPA support.  However, it seems only to be able to be
> a NATting router, which means my firewall only sees one
> IP, and I can't do all the stuff I want to do.
>
> So the question is, does anyone know of a widely-available
> 802.11g device that can be used strictly as an access point
> or bridge? (But still supports WPA.)
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- JK

I would seriously suggest any of the many routers supported by the
Linux-based OpenWRT firmware.  I use a WRT54GL as an access point, but
I've also been able to do some far more interesting things... mini
web-server, etc.  I'm looking forward to the new version of OpenWRT so I
can run two SSIDs on the same router... one WPA going to the LAN and one
WEP (for friends/guests) that can be segmented off in its own VLAN.
OpenWRT is like having a commercial-grade Cisco AP, IMO.

David