[ale] linux on Ibook g3

Robert Story rstory-l at 2006.revelstone.com
Thu Aug 16 10:17:36 EDT 2007

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:32:15 +0100 (BST) Joe wrote:
JM>   I got an ibook G3 dual usb (from 2001) 12.1 inches 500mhz ,640mb memory, 10gb Hardisk with cd, i have managed to get a wireless network card (Airport)
JM>   I want to install linux to use it surfing and some simple tasks. i have tried ubuntu on it.
JM>   I need some help for which distro will help me to get the best out of it.  speed and space left after installing counts for me. as well as getting my airport working.

I've run Linux on various PowerBook for quite a while. My work environment is
RedHat based, so I stay as close as possible to that. YellowDog used to be the
way to go, because they had the best hardware support. I'm now using Fedora, as
YellowDog's package update policy sucks. I was please with Fedora 5, but my
main machine is now Fedora 7. There are still some kinks to be worked out, but
overall I'm pretty pleased with it.

I'd recommend upgrading memory and hard disk.. It's not so expensive these
days, and you'll be much happier with the extra elbow room...