[ale] linux on Ibook g3

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Wed Aug 15 12:32:30 EDT 2007

Joe Mugerwa wrote:
> Hi
> I got an ibook G3 dual usb (from 2001) 12.1 inches 500mhz ,640mb memory,
> 10gb Hardisk with cd, i have managed to get a wireless network card
> (Airport)
> I want to install linux to use it surfing and some simple tasks. i have
> tried ubuntu on it.
> I need some help for which distro will help me to get the best out of
> it.  speed and space left after installing counts for me. as well as
> getting my airport working.
> Any kind of help is welcome
> /Joe

The advantage of Ubuntu is the active support forum for PPC at
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=133

The disadvantage is that although packages and cd's are still built for
it, PPC is no longer an officially supported architecture.

"The Ubuntu Technical Board has decided to reclassify PowerPC as an
unofficial architecture, rather than a fully supported architecture, for
Ubuntu 7.04 and subsequent releases. This means that packages and ISO
images will continue to be produced, but releases will not be delayed
due to problems which are specific to PowerPC, and the quality of the
PowerPC release itself will depend very much on the extent to which
members of the Ubuntu community drive PowerPC testing and bug fixes. The
rationale for this decision has been recorded in the PowerPC Review
document at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCReview ..."

I personally switched to Debian on the powerbook I had at the time when
this happened.

-Brian