[ale] OT: offline malware removal tool for windoze

Sid Lane jakes.dad at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 08:36:53 EDT 2007

well,

my paranoia may have been well founded - I ran spybot & avg on it which
claimed to identify & remove ~80-90 threats EACH, gave it back to her
yesterday and this morning she's telling me it popping up pron.  I told her
she needed to cut her losses & reinstall windoze but she said she wasn't
sure if she had the disk(s).  I kind of wonder if it's a legit copy anyway
as it was still SP1 and I wasn't about to be responsible for SP2 killing it
or WGA making it commit suicide (besides, that would have required
connecting to a network & I wasn't about to put it on an address I was
responsible for).  she says "I'm not saying you did it" - um, yea,
considering I never connected the stupid thing to the internet I'd say it's
possible it was there before...

folks, I have officially done my LAST hands-on attempt to help somebody -
verbal advice, fine, but given what's happened(/ing) to this other person I
know it's just not worth the risk...

it's a rough net out there - I think I'll stick to databases, preferrably
ones that don't launch dos attacks on the entire internet & run on an os
quite so prone to hostile takeovers...

if you EVER see me post another ? related to helping someone outside of work
PLEASE send someone over to smack me in the face w/a pie (some of you know
where I am).