[ale] OT: offline malware removal tool for windoze

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 07:58:26 EDT 2007

Evan Pitstick wrote:
> Hey Sid!,
> I used to do this all the time... this will take a while but if you want
> to do it right, well its M$ and it takes a lot of work.
<snipped>

I don't load a lot of programs back onto Windows anymore.  it seemed
that the people didn't update them anyway.

I use several different online sites.  i figure they are more up-to-date
than whatever package i am downloading (and then updating).

once in Windows you can fire up IE and point it to:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/xscan.php
(Spyware & Adware Scanning)

http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
(BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan)

and if it is still active
http://virusscan.jotti.org/
(online malware scan)

the virus found in the archive/snapshot/backup that Windows keeps are
easily removed with Knoppix or similar livecd.

for extra fun play with the beryl 3d desktop while cleaning their
windows.  knoppix (with switch at boot prompt) and sabayon are two that
come to mind.