[ale] Printers stink

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Apr 27 08:50:28 EDT 2007

I have a small squadron of HP inkjet printers. They are all similar in
that they use the same model ink tanks and print heads. I specifically
got them so they would be compatible.

Lately, the newest one, officejet 9100 all-in-one, reports that the
print heads are nearly dead and is printing quite crappy. This
particular machine has been problematic from day one. In fact, this is
the third one as the first and second were replaced under warranty
(total print system failure - nothing would work).

So here I am trying to get something done and all I get are streaky
pages.

So I run the printhead cleaner.

no changes

run the HEAVY printhead cleaner

no changes

run the gawd awful use half the ink cleaner setting

no changes

System says print heads are shot.

Buy new print heads (second batch. First batch "died" within 3 month/400
pages of new system).

NO F***ING CHANGES!!!

At this point I'm ranting all over the place about the lousy quality,
yada yada yada...

So I grab the can of flux remover and 4 cotton swabs and clean the
contacts for the print head connections.

It worked!!  Now the printer reports all print heads are OK and it
prints without great streaks of missing cyan, black and yellow.

I really think my next print system is going to be one of Xerox crayon
printers. I've had enough of HP.
--
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering