[ale] I've Been Made Redundant

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Thu Apr 26 08:04:39 EDT 2007

Mike Harrison wrote:
>> Manually Key data into roughly 2 dozen data fields for approximately
>> 10,000 lines of data.  The data has to be manually keyed so that they
>> can receive support from Oracle.  You will key basic information such as
>>

> What? No way to stuff the keyboard ala 'expect' or similiar tools?

I was thinking the same thing, the only way I could see them needing
manual entry was if the data was handwritten paper.  Even if it was
typed/printed, one could scan it and get the data that way simpler than
manual entry.

But to go into an Oracle DB from any kind of text file, it would
probably be trivial to write a perl script  to do it in no time.

Maybe the description of the problem was actually a test.  People who
volunteered to enter the data would fail.  People that called them
stupid, would pass and get a job translating data from one form to
another.

But I don't know and am not interested in a data entry job.

Jim.