[ale] Linux + Verizon EVDO modem?

George Allen glallen01 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 16:52:51 EDT 2007

Yes, mine works great. See these two pages.
http://kenkinder.com/evdo-pc5740/

You'll need the usbserial module, and I'm using Ubuntu, so results may vary
for where to place PPP's config files, but this works for me...

You'll need to edit /etc/ppp/peers/lxevdo:
ttyACM0
115200
debug
noauth
defaultroute
usepeerdns
connect-delay 10000
user 1235551234 at vzw3g.com
show-password
crtscts
lock
#passive
lcp-echo-failure 8
lcp-echo-interval 65535
#persist
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -t3 -f /etc/ppp/peers/lxevdo_chat'

And also /etc/ppp/peers/lxevdo_chat:
'' 'AT'
'OK' 'ATE0V1&F&D2&C1&C2S0=0'
'OK' 'ATE0V1'
'OK' 'ATS7=60'
'OK' 'AT+CSQ;D#777'

(I had to experiment with the AT strings for a while, but these have given me
the best success)

then in /etc/network/interfaces add:
iface ppp0 inet ppp
	provider lxevdo

I also have a script  ~/bin/verizon-updown to reset the connection, which will
drop on occassion:
#!/bin/sh
sudo ifdown ppp0
sudo pkill -9 ppp