[ale] OT: Fwd: Fred Fish (GNU Programmer, Amiga Freeware Icon), Dead at 51

aaron aaron at pd.org
Tue Apr 24 14:22:00 EDT 2007

Fred Fish, GNU Programmer, Amiga Freeware Icon, Dead at 51

This sad news of the passing of Fred Fish just hit my inbox from
a fellow Amiganaut.

Fred was one of the most amicable and generous individuals
I have ever had the pleasure of meeting...
[image at <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Fish>]

I don't think a stretch to suggest that Fred exemplified the
ideals of "open source" even before the concept was defined.

He ported a good portion of the early GNU utilities to the Amiga
in a collection called "Geek Gadgets" - a CD which I am proud to
have on my computer history shelf.  But his most amazing
contributions came in the form of the Fish Disks, periodical
collections of Amiga Freeware and demos on floppy disk
that he would snail mail out to the world every month like
clockwork (since Internet didn't exist at the time).  Fish Disk
Feeding Frenzies were a highlight of our monthly Amiga Atlanta
user group meetings for many years (thanks to the duplication
work of Joe Torre), and the disk collection eventually grew to a
full 1000 issues (which are also on my computer history shelf as
the "Frozen Fish" CD set).

Wikipedia article and links in forwarded message.

In fond remembrance of Fred Fish (with apologies for
all the pun-ishments your name evoked):
---             So long, and thanks for all the disks!

peace
aaron