[ale] Debian Users

Brian Pitts bpitts at learnlink.emory.edu
Tue Apr 24 12:00:47 EDT 2007

Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts wrote:
> Jim Moore wrote:
>> >
>>  Thanks for your reply Preston.  Do any of your laptops have intel
>>  wireless.  Mine is a Gateway with Intel Centrino with the IPW2200 series
>>  wireless.  It uses the Intel 2915 ABG dirver set and the IPW3.0 Firmware.
>>  Am attempting to determine if it is problematical with "Etch".  With fc6
>>  my wireless disappears everytime the kernel upgrades.  Was working last
>>  week under 2.6.20-1.2933.  Saturday it upgraded to 2.6.20-1.2944 and
>>  it's gwtw

This should work out-of-the-box in Ubuntu. In Debian Etch, you'll need
to install ipw2200-modules-2.6-686 (assuming you're using the 686
kernel), then  download the firmware from
http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php and extract it to /lib/firmware.

> not a problem.  both of mine use the Atheros chipset.  they were not
> handled by the version of Madwifi at the time, so i used the svn
> version.  i have not had any problems in doing so... the current version of madwifi would probably fix my having to re-run my
little routine with each kernel upgrade

Yeah. In Etch, you could install the madwifi package and use
module-assistant.

-Brian