[ale] what is a good offsite back up proposal?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Apr 20 12:23:10 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 12:01 -0400, Louis Zamora wrote:
> I have to build a 2tb server using RH and I am creating full
> redundancy on the hard drives but the customer also wants offsite
> backup.

By this I assume you mean a backup site that is physically located
distant to the main server. Is this system to have 2TB of capacity or is
it stuffed now with 2TB of data to be backed up.

> Currently, the customer has no good back up option on the network.

At 2TB, the network is going to be the problem.

> Has anyone heard of a good back up solution lately (homegrown or
> otherwise)?

Build a system that can support the 2TB by first getting a mirror of the
original data. Do this locally to the original system. Now move the
backup system to its home and use a cron job and rsync. How often it
runs will be determined by the bandwidth between the two system and how
fast the data accumulates.

> I am open to building a separate server if needed.

I don't see any other option. I have not heard of any network backup
service that offers space of that size.