[ale] Thanks Re: OTQ: partition formats of USB storage

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Wed Apr 18 09:24:40 EDT 2007

Warren, Greg and Geoffrey -

Thanks for the comments. I just bought the drive and have no experience
using it, which probably contributed to my poorly framed question.

I was really curious whether a replacement drive going into the same case
would need special prep before installation.

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, Greg Freemyer wrote:

> On 4/17/07, John Mills <johnmills at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> > I just bought a USB external HDD by Seagate, based on a presumably
> > standard 3.5" drive. If I had to replace the drive, any idea how the
> > replacement should be partitioned?

I think this is most likely:

> 1) The external unit is very bare bones and all it does is convert the
> SCSI commands on the USB/firewire bus to the equivalent ATA commands
> that the drive needs.  For these you can partition the drive anyway
> you feel like.

Best,
 - Mills