[ale] OTQ: partition formats of USB storage

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Tue Apr 17 17:14:44 EDT 2007

John Mills wrote:
> ALErs -
>
> Speculative question:
>
> I just bought a USB external HDD by Seagate, based on a presumably
> standard 3.5" drive. If I had to replace the drive, any idea how the
> replacement should be partitioned?

Assuming you're using it for Linux, it really doesn't matter.  You can
format however you like as long as it's a supported file system.

> (I'm not about to check mine while it's still guaranteed - in fact I
> don't even know if it's serial or parallel!)

I'm not sure I quite understand.  You can certainly check the
partitioning of the drive without affecting the warranty.

Maybe I don't understand the question.... :(

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin