[ale] Never log onto your satellite as root

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Mon Apr 16 14:54:19 EDT 2007

Btw, under Linux with lots of time (like a week) and fsdb, one can
on Linux recover about 90% of important files subsequent to a

     rm -rf /

I had the pleasure to do this for a client.

Also, I recommend aliasing "rm" to "rm -i" to reduce the likelihood
of this.

Further, be careful about using a GUI to nuke accounts you don't
understand.  My client didn't know what "bin" and related accounts
were so he said to nuke them.  It used to be that such system accounts
all listed "/" as the home dir.  I see that Mandrake and Slackware, at
least, now list "/bin".

Bob Toxen
Be sure to file your taxes by tomorrow so your government will have the
money to follow your wishes.