[ale] No Wireless on Slackware [was No Wireless on SuSE] - SOLVED

Shorter Rankin os2guru at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 12:10:18 EDT 2007

Thank you Christopher Fowler and Dan Lambert
for help on this. My father was born in Atlanta,
parents taught me better manners so I apologize
for the long time getting back to y'all....

The T30 had a flakey DVD drive (I actually
installed Slackware using disk sets). So I bought
a new DVD drive. The solution was to install
Open SuSE 10.2 and then my Classic Orinoco
16 bit Gold Card was recognized and I connect
at public libraries & Internet cafes.

I'm much more a Slackware person but will
have to wait until they ship a 2.6x kernel
as the default. It was just too difficult
to resolve hotplug, udev, cardmgr - deprecated
in the 2.6x kernel, without breaking something
when I ran the default 2.4.33.3 kernel...

About Ubuntu, Kbuntu, Xbantu: I certainly
applaud them for their achievements. Lots
of buzz about these distros. Seems they
are all about bringing Windows users into
the Linux fold. And I had Ubutu Breezy Badger
on a ThinkPad 600E for awhile. There were
some things I liked about it. Bottom line
I'm much more attracted to Slackware - or
Vector Linux (on old hardware). Sorry,
that's just my personal preference.

Again, thanks y'all for help on this.

Shorter Rankin