[ale] syslog indicating hdd problems

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 16:46:36 EDT 2007

Scott,

smartd can do a background read to ensure the integrity of your drive.
 Yours appears to be failing.

I would powerdown that drive immediately, then do the following.

1) Remove the drive and put it in your freezer overnight.  (I really
don't know why, but that is one of the ways to try to recover data
from a failing drive.  Maybe someone else knows why this works.)

2) Get a new/replacement drive ready to go.  Get yourself a Linux Boot
CD your comfortable with and ensure it has dd_rescue on it.

3) Install the original drive and the new drive (hopefully as masters
on 2 different IDE chains if the are PATA).

4) Boot the CD and use dd_rescue to clone your failing drive.

Good Luck,
Greg

On 4/13/07, Scott Castaline <hscast at charter.net> wrote:
> I was just looking through my log while trying to track down something
> else and saw this:
>
> Apr 13 16:08:14 ncc1701f smartd[2762]: Device: /dev/sda, 906 Currently
> unreadable (pending) sectors
> Apr 13 16:08:14 ncc1701f smartd[2762]: Device: /dev/sda, 1112 Offline
> uncorrectable sectors
>
> Does this mean that whatever was there is gone? How do I determine what
> happened? I am using LVM in my setup, how do I now which lv got
> affected? As far as I know it just started for the first time about 2
> hrs. ago.
>
> TIA
>
> PS maybe I need to cut back on the Guiness or complain to the company
> that's blasting next door.

Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group
Forensics for the 21st Century