[ale] CentOS 5.0 released!!

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Apr 13 09:17:01 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 08:05 -0400, Courtney Thomas wrote:
> Please pardon my ignorance, but of what value is that for a non-commercial
> or average user  ?

If the end user just wants things to work and not have to putz with
full-system upgrades every 6-12 months, if updates are wanted for 5
years so the users don't need to see new desktop eye-candy every 6
months, or you just want to be able to do the "fix and forget" for a
desktop without shelling out the cash for a support package you won't
use, it's a good thing.

But since most "average user" linux people _want_ to change their
desktop around all the time and try a new app and ... CentOS (and
RedHat) are not a good idea. Go get Ubuntu or Fedora or another bleeding
edge distro version and play!

For those of us in the professional Linux admin world, CentOS is great!
My clients want a stable, reliable server (and some desktops) system and
they are going to call me to baby-sit and augment that system. For my
bunch, the support offered from RedHat is not what they need or want.
The applications they rely on are not in the core of RedHat systems and
thus are not supported by RedHat (nor should they be).

I also maintain an annual license with RedHat because they do a TON of
work that everyone gets the benefit of and I benefit directly from the
Fedora and CentOS projects.

I also keep a subscription for Slackware because of sentimentality (I
can't find the first stack of floppies I used to install my first
Slackware/first Linux _anything_ from) and a profound respect for the
longevity of the project.