[ale] CentOS 5.0 released!!

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 19:34:22 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 18:56 -0400, Warren Myers wrote:

> whoa! it's 7 CDs or 1 DVD for the x64 edition.
>
> What makes it that much bigger? (and don't tell me that files are all
> twice the size cause it's 64-bit and not 32 :) )

The compiled size of code is different for every architecture, which is
part of it.

For the x86-64 machines, there are also 32-bit compatibility libraries,
which add to the system.  For example, I am using Ubuntu on my new AMD64
dual-core system, and have the 32-bit compatibility libraries installed
for various things (among them, the ability to run Flash and Java,
though I haven't figured out how to get the Java plug-in working quite
yet because I haven't seriously needed it yet).

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!