[ale] batch image resizing

aaron aaron at pd.org
Tue Apr 10 16:50:34 EDT 2007

I do batch image processing frequently using the ImageMagick
command line tools on my Mac OSeX systems (with thanks to
the Fink project for making the OSS ports like ImageMagick
available and easy to install).

The "mogrify" function can make various modifications directly
to the existing image file.  The scaling function is  "-geometry" (or its
alias "-resize").

If you want a specific Y size of 1280 while auto-Magick-aly scaling
X to maintain the aspect ratio, I  believe the command would be:

%>    mogrify -geometry x1280 "my_image_file.jpg"

The command accepts multiple file names and shell globbing,
so you can easily do a whole directory at a time:

%>    mogrify -resize x1280 "my_image_dir/*.jpg"

>From the ImageMagick man page:

=============
              preferred size and location of the Image window.

  By default, the window size is the image size and the location is
chosen by you when it is mapped.
  By  default,  the  width and height are maximum values. That is, the image
is expanded or contracted to fitthe width and height value while maintaining
the aspect ratio of the image.
  Append an exclamation point  to the  geometry to force the image size to
exactly the size you specify. For example, if you specify 640x480!
the image width is set to 640 pixels and height to 480.

  If only the width is specified, the width assumes the value and the height
is chosen to maintain the aspect ratio of the image.  Similarly, if only the
height is specified (e.g., -geometry x256), the width is chosen to maintain
the aspect ratio.

[snip]

Hope that helps!
 (-: The rest of the script processes I'll leave to you... :-)

peace
aaron