[ale] Free X11 server for Win32

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Tue Apr 10 07:15:47 EDT 2007

> Oh, how I look forward to the day when people can exercise absolute,
> complete, and unrestricted freedom of choice while retaining some level
> of convenience...

Every once in a while, I pull out my Sinclair Z88 notebook.. Running Oz.
Pop in 4 AA batteries, enjoy the familiar feel of the rubber mushy
keyboard, review a few stored spreadsheets and text files (i had installed
a perm memory module) and 'basic' programs.. edit a couple of notes..
amaze at the WYSIWYG postage stamp sized whole page display.. remember how
to edit large documents in a 4 line LCD display (wow. BOLD text option.. Wow..)
The 'editor' environment uses/used pseudo-wordstar command set, and is
why I am most comfortable with 'Joe' in Linux today. In the 1980's I ran a
multiline BBS (Qbbs and Tbbs) and could dial in with an external modem at
9600 baud, although often 2400 worked better.. and nav menu's and
read/write fidonet e-mails, uucp'd internet e-mail.. all on that little
beast.

And think.. Wow.. We have come so far, and yet.. in many ways,
we (or at least: me ) have hardly moved at all.

My Ubuntu Linux desktop is.. well.. spectacular. Dual 1600x1050 displays..
And here I sit, sending e-mail using PINE so that I can use Joe as an
editor.. sending/reading plain text using 'pseudo-wordstar' commands.

What we are all really waiting for is the direct neural interface.
Fears of 'snow crash' like viruses.. blue screens of death bringing the
real thing.. may keep that forever a little removed from reality.
All the improvements seem to be in displays and gui's..
and yet here I type (quickly, without looking) on a keyboard layout
designed to slow down fast typists.. We have so far to go.. so far..

Rambling, my apologies.. time to wake up and get some more coffee...
I'm still dreaming..