[ale] readonly access for pop3/imap

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 7 21:34:52 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 21:00 -0400, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 19:51 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > I want to provide readonly access, via pop3/imap, for a mail spool file.
> > Any idea on how to achieve this with dovecot, or another pop/imap
> > server?
>
> Do you mean the logged in user can only read the email and not pull it
> off the server or delete it?

Yes, let the logged in users read (download) but not delete mails from
the spool file.

> If so, you can change ownership of the spool file so that the user is a
> group member that has only read access.

I tried that, but perhaps I didn't try enough. ;-)  The spool file is
0660, owned by user:mail.  If I change it to 0460 then the mailserver
can't append to it, if I change it to 0640 then the pop3 user can delete
emails.  If I chgrp peers the spool file, then I guess I can add
additional users and make them members of the peers group... have to
test that.

Thx,

-Jim P.