[ale] OT: Music Majors & Math (was Comcast speeds)

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Apr 4 09:38:16 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 08:48 -0400, Jim Philips wrote:

> Read about it here:
>
> http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/eastman/peopleevents/pande19.html
>
> And then there was the Russian composer, Borodin, who was also a respected
> chemist.

Almost _ALL_ of the scientists, from history through all of my friends
from grad school and my advisers, have been involved in some type of
creative expression. Whether it was music, art, or dance, science (and
math) goes hand in hand with music, art, writing, etc.

It is the creative spark that drives both the scientists and the
musician. The music majors I had the pleasure of teaching physics labs
with (not to) were an absolute joy! They were hard to get to leave the
lab because it was just another big toy box for them. They learned about
sound waves, interference and pressure and had a blast doing it.

The let down group was the flock of teachers getting their masters of
education degrees. They were dull, uninspired, and seemed devoid of all
curiosity and creativity. Their overall grasp of the world around them
was far below the level of a moderate high schooler. There was a special
physics sequence for teachers that put the math at about the 7th grade
algebra level.

--
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering