[ale] New Mailing List initiatives for ALE (last one, I promise)

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Thu Sep 28 10:06:26 EDT 2006

I'm afraid that my position echoes Sean's and Jim Kinney's.  I'm not
seeing where a re-jiggering is going to improve anything.

I note, much as Jim did, that eight years on the list didn't get me in
the "consultee's club" either.  Whereas I don't take that personally, it
does suggest that whatever consulting was done may have been done more
to seek support for the originator's foregone conclusion than to really
determine a consensus, deliberately or not.  To wit:  "I started taking
an informal poll around April...and got a startling congruity of
response."  Such is the danger of informal polls:  ask just the people
who already tend to feel as you do out of proximity and, unsurprisingly,
their consensus matches your predilection.

Both good and bad list members will come and both good and bad list
members will go.  Such is life.  I know that I get irritated when I ask
a question on the list and find that it gets drowned in a barrage of
off-topic or other AOL-worthy posts, but, damned if a life free of
irritation is not advertised as a benefit of the ALE list.

I suggest leaving ALE's mailing lists as they are.  People are free to
create whatever new mailing lists they want and be just as fussy about
them as they please.  What's next, adopting a Linux distribution as the
"official" distribution of ALE?

- Jeff