[ale] New Mailing List initiatives for ALE

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 17:25:20 EDT 2006

On 9/26/06, Jerald Sheets <jsheets at yahoo.com> wrote:
<snip>

> [ale]  (ale at ale.org)
> This is the original mailing list that defined [ale] membership. Discussions
> should be (at least tangentially) relevant to systems administration, or
> sysadmin issues in Atlanta. This list will be moderated for members of [ale]
> to post to and subscribe to. All posting attempts will be moderated for
> relevance to existing threads and content.

The biggest problem I see is the "moderated" aspect.

I've been on a few moderated lists and the inherent delays to get
something posted take most of the usability out of it for me.

It gets really annoying when the moderator disappears for a few days at a time.

I don't have any great solutions. :(   ie. In the absense of a
moderator it gets difficult to enforce the rules.

Maybe someone needs to invent a ostrizism server.  ie. if 10 or more
members of the list vote to blackball someone on the same day, then
that person loses posting priviledges for a week.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group