[ale] New Mailing List initiatives for ALE

Jerald Sheets jsheets at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 26 16:48:45 EDT 2006

** The Problem **

After much discussion, informal polling, email back and forth and
various generic conversation, Those of us charged with the
maintenance, care, and feeding of the ALE mailing list(s) will be
bringing about some changes in the near future.  Please allow me to
discourse below:

There has been an increasing amount of "reaction" as our list becomes
more diverse and varied.  Unfortunately, due to the propensity of
some of us to blather on (raises hand..."Guilty!) regarding many
topics unrelated to linux, UNIX, technology, or other geekery, we
have lost some great personalities, talent, minds, and contributors
to this community.

I started taking an informal poll around April (around when we
started doing ALE-NW at my offices) and got a startling congruity of
response.  My question:  How about joining the ALE list, we could
really use experience such as yours to contribute to the topics and
such.  Overwhelmingly, the answer has been that these persons
(sysadmins and speakers from all walks and from many companies that
make up the "top 10" of Atlanta) could not afford the sheer volume of
emails unrelated to their work.

I have suggested the gmail/Yahoo! Mail solution to no avail.  These
people (who arguably would be the busiest in our industry) replied
(nearly without fail) that there was no way they had the time to
manage yet another mail client with yet another list, and then to do
the single thing they did not want to do in the first place (pore
through hundreds of off-topic posts) due to the lack of time they
have.  I can relate. (Hurricane Katrina anyone?)

Add to that the few we have lost recently that I have been able to
speak with (some are not answering email) and the off-topic nature of
our list is again the culprit.  An unexpected (although not
surprising) reason given is that on occasion we tend to get a bit off-
color in our language from time to time and a varying array of things
can happen.  Business mail systems can bounce the messages and then
Mailman cruelly unsubscribes you due to bounces.  Or, worse yet, your
email can get flagged and membership can find themselves being
questioned by the resident mail nazi/security/HR/auditing poobah
which we all know how pleasant that can be.

As such, something really needs to be done.  Many suggestions have
been floated, some of which had merit, some of which never had
merit.  ;)

** Evaluation **

People have suggested fully moderating the list.  I would offer this
is the least desirable.  We are all adults here (with the occasional
minor thrown in for good measure).  We understand that when topics
float away from tech and into politics (whether related or unrelated
to tech) that personal sacred cows get the holy-hand grenade of death
by standers-by, feelings are hurt, epithets are thrown, and the list
quiets for a small bit of time until things crank back up to the same-
old stuff.  Case in point, our esteemed Chris Farris has recently
left us through a thread that began simply as "Ping!".  Look at
today's threads...we have another.  Will someone else of quality and
merit as Chris is be convinced that this is the last straw and leave
us for good?  Lord, I hope not.

Some have suggested that an Internet forum is the way to go.
Proponents say you have an archive, and there's interactivity, etc.
However, our ale Mailman archive on-line tends to deliver more and
more answers as I google for results over time.  It is proving an
invaluable resource (to me, anyhow...I can't be alone, can I?) on
HOWTO information dating back quite a few years.  It would be a loss
to the community to discontinue that archive in favor of forums.
Further, our Pine, mail, and elm friends (insert text email client of
your choice here) would not be able to fetchmail their ale mail to
read from "spacebar heaven" on the headless client of their choice.

curses.

One proposal that gained legs in the discussions is that of adding to
& modifying the rules of our current lists, and to structure them to
encourage us to keep our enthusiast/community focus, but to allow
persons to participate in a "low-noise" list, thus retaining quality
individuals that we are losing/have lost, and to encourage yet
unsubscribed individuals to come and be a part.

** The Solution **

Thus, [ale] 2.0  (or whatever our revision is these days...I'm new to
the party) is now in the process of gestation.

Currently, the ale suite of mailing lists is as follows:

[ale]
an mailing list, for general Linux questions, discussions and
information. Feel free to post questions here.

[unemployed]
A discussion list for un-employed Techies in the Atlanta Area

** The Layout **

We will be undertaking to do some splitting of the lists to better
serve the varied interests of membership and simultaneously keep an
"enthusiast" air to our dealings.  The model we are adopting was
first seen at the DC Area Systems Administrator's Guild site:  dc-
sage.org.

of [ale] members about upcoming [ale] events. Any other postings
(including announcements from other organizations) belong in the
[ale] list.

Discussions should be (at least tangentially) relevant to systems
administration, or sysadmin issues in Atlanta. This list will be
moderated for members of [ale] to post to and subscribe to. All
posting attempts will be moderated for relevance to existing threads
and content.

For instance:  A topic regarding any technical topic is fair game,
from wireless routers to Linux admin to UNIX admin to "name your tech
topic here".  Not unlike the current list.  Even political discourse
regarding technical issues (DMCA, p2p, etc.) is also acceptable
material.  These are issues which we all encounter and experience in
day-to-day administration and technical pursuits.

However, a post regarding war in Iraq, how global warming is Bush's
fault, and he caused hurricane Katrina to oust poor minorities from
their homes in New orleans so they can no longer vote as a block
against Republican interests so Republicans can continue to prepare a
"new world order" mindset to make it easier for the aliens to take
over when they invade...  Unacceptable for this list, and will be
draconianly and unceremoniously moderated.  (i.e. never see the light
of day)

about [ale] members. This list is unmoderated for members of [ale] to
post to and subscribe to. This list is where you should post if you
believe that the topic does not really pertain to everyone and anyone
on the list. In fact, this list is probably best used as an [ale]
BBS, except that any member may subscribe to this list and receive
the messages in real time instead of reading them from the web ... if
that is what you want.  Translation:  anything goes!  Just as today's
[ale] list exists, [ale-chat] will exist.  Membership will be
encouraged to engage in more technical discourse on [ale], but [ale-
chat] will remain free and unfettered for all the pinging, ponging,
and politics it can handle.

receive from this list will be the announcement that it is live, and
you are on it, and meeting/organizational announcements of the [ale]
organization.  You may, if you wish, only belong to this list.
Expect >10 emails per month.

2. Migrate all membership from [ale] to [ale-chat].  This will
facilitate persons who don't wish to change or move to stay exactly
as they are with no changes other than (a) the email you use to post
to the list and (b) changing your own mail filters to reflect the new
list address.  Expect email traffic roughly analogous to the current
list, but perhaps diminishing as [ale] gains acceptance/popularity.

3.  Create and publish the new [ale] list and open it up for
registrations via Mailman.  This will be the moderated, on-topic only
mailing list.  If you are buried under work, you can unsub from ale-
chat, just keeping ale and ale-announce.  Or, if you prefer, you can
unsub from [ale] altogether and only be on [ale-announce and [ale-chat].

The point is, it's your choice.  You can get involved, or just
leisurely chat with geeks of like-interest, all while still receiving
important [ale] announcements.

Well, that's it.  I'm sure there'll be a TON of opinions, both good
and bad, but at this time it just seems that these steps are the best
for the group.  It may succeed wildly, and it may fail miserably.
Point is, we will have tried, and will actually know.

Feel free to comment.  I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

Jerald Sheets
Host, ALE-NW
All around nice-guy.  No, really.
Sysadmin, The Weather Channel