[ale] RHEL on PowerEdge servers from dell outlet

Jerry Yu jjj863 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 13:39:00 EDT 2006

One may benefit from standardization on one brand (whichever it is). Plus,
the management type may argue the savings can't justify the time (= $$)
spent on building from scratch,  managing warranty information on various
parts, and sorting through firmware jungle.

So, back to my initial questions, I'd appreciate any tip on
1) personal experience with server stuff from Dell outlet
2) test/stress/prep hardware (custom built or name brand) for RHAS based
application server or database servers?

As a quickie stress test, I usually run a dozen instances of backup scripts
(tar | gzip). Each pauses $((RANDOM%60)) upon finishing a round of full
backup. I figured that the tar can stress the disk IO (r/w) while gzip does
for the CPU.any apparent fault on this line of thinking?