[ale] (Somewhat OT) Blown circuit breakers?

Chris Woodfield rekoil at semihuman.com
Tue Sep 26 10:02:00 EDT 2006

As I'm sure there are a few folks with electrical experience here...

I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodeling project, and yesterday my
wife was putting down drywall mud around an electrical box that had
live wires coming out of it (yeah, I should have capped them...), and
accidentally shorted them with a mudding knife, which tripped the
circuit breaker. She reset the breaker, and carried on...until later
that night, I did the same exact thing. However, this time the power
did not come on when I reset the breaker, and every outlet/light
attached to that breaker is now dead.

I've never heard of a "blown" circuit breaker before, so is that what
I should replace first (It's a 15A single-pole breaker)? Or should I
be looking at a possibly melted wire somewhere in my wall? I'm going
to replace the breaker, as they're cheap, just looking for other
possible problems this could have caused.

Thanks,

-C