[ale] uptime, cool--New topic, keeping power on

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Sep 4 12:45:08 EDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 15:26 -0400, Brian Pitts wrote:
> My personal machines are turned off when unused.
Unused? Wha?!!

>  The time lost to
> turning it on is trivial compared to the energy saved by turning it off.

The BEST time to power down and unplug is just before the lightning
storm runs over the house! And by unplug I mean remove ALL cables from
the back of the system and all network switches.

I had a nearby lightning strike several years ago that burned up every
piece of networking equipment in my house and half the systems were
damaged (system hardware failures over the next 2 months). The strike
hit a tree about 5 feet from outside wall of my office. I was on the
inside of that wall! A pair of 40W fluorescent light tubes were nearly
ruined by the heat caused by the tubes glowing at about 200W melting the
shrink wrap to them too tight to remove. The EMP induced an estimated
3KV in the phone line I was on and an estimated 500V in the cat5e lines
feeding the network. OUCH!