[ale] uptime, cool--New topic, keeping power on

Mark Wright mpwright at speedfactory.net
Sun Sep 3 16:40:08 EDT 2006

Is this really true?  I wonder if Snope's has something on this?  ;-)

No really.  I guess calculating it is not too difficult.  Powering
your PC up and down three times a day versus wake up and hibernate
cycles.

Obviously powered off time beats powered on even with the monitor off
and the disk not spinning but how many on off cycles per 24 hr period
would it take to bring power usage, from the initial power surge and
wasted wait time, up to equal a Hibernating PC's power draw?