[ale] HOW2 know which Debian kernel#s apply to the Sargedistribution ?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 21:12:57 EDT 2006

The kernel version has absolutely nothing to do with the version of
Debian. The versions of the kernel listed in that wikipedia article
are just the ones shipped in Sarge. You can run whatever version you
feel like. Indeed, the make-kpkg utility is there for the specific
reason of creating your own debs for whichever kernel you wish to run.
You can install a kernel by hand, but Debian won't recognize it as
being installed and you may run into some problems with some packages
that require specific versions of the kernel to be installed. That is,
when installing packages with apt/aptitude/et al. the package manager
looks at the list of installed debs to determine what kernel, and
kernel headers, is installed. It does not look at the results of
uname.