[ale] OT: Two for the EE and hobbyests

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Mon Oct 16 09:39:58 EDT 2006

  Well, in setting up for Halloween I have two little projects I want to
accomplish.  First, I have a fogger with the extended cord with a button
for triggering the fog.  Last year I had it on an X10 to control the
power via a Linux Cron and just clamped down the button so it would spray
when the power was on.  This year I'm thinking I'd like to remove the
button and hook it up to a motion sensor, something like from one of
those cheesy rocks that howl when you get two close.  I figure that
would be easy enough, but I am thinking I'd like it to run for 30
seconds, then stay off for 45 seconds or such so my house doesn't fill
up with Fog.   Has anyone built something like this?

  Second, I have a bright red light I'd like to put on a timed dimmer so
the light would pulse on and off in window'd hallway over the front
door.  Anyone have any ideas on something other than a cron'd X10 that
would slowly dim in and out?

Yes, I like Halloween...
  Robert

:wq!
                                         @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:
       ALONE.  I speak for              First One Should Be A Man
       no-one else.                       - Manowar