[ale] Hardware temperatures... (Was: Re: large file downloads & Comcast)

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 17:18:48 EDT 2006

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 14:05 -0400, Bob Toxen wrote:
>> That's Comcast!  I have the same problem.  It is not your equipment.
>> It's why I'm switching.
>
> Check the temp of the cable modem. I have a friend with similar issue.
> Things work OK for short bursts but the box get HOT with long accesses.
> He had a 'fridge close by so we plopped it in and it ran DVD downloads
> all night with no more errors.

Doesn't this trick also work with things like hard drives and motherboards?

It is interesting how a little bit of a temperature difference can make
major improvements.

Speaking of temperature... does anybody know what can cause Linux to
report inaccurate temperatures for hardware?  I know that my laptop's
CPU does not regularly run at 194?F...

	-- Mike

Michael B. Trausch <fd0man at gmail.com> - Jabber: fd0man at livejournal.com

Demand freedom: Use open and free protocols, standards, and software.